9 Foods We Eat That Can Be Poisonous

There are so many foods that you eat every day that are potentially harmful, even poisonous and should be eaten with proper precautions. Here are 9 common every day foods that you should be careful consuming.

NUTMEG

Nutmeg is known as a hallucinogen and ingesting a teaspoon or more of nutmeg can provide serious side effects like nausea, elevated heart rate, dry mouth, vomiting, which can last for several days. So use nutmeg sparingly in your recipes.

MUSHROOMS

Mushrooms are quite nutritious, however, 5% of mushrooms are toxic. While some mushrooms that are poisonous are brightly colored and easy to tell, most of the deadliest mushrooms have a relatively unexciting exterior. So be careful with selecting and know which ones can cause harm.

KIDNEY BEANS

Kidney beans contain large amounts of the glycoprotein lectin where consuming as few as four uncooked beans could cause extreme nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. Many cases related to  this were due to the use of  “slow cookers” which did not reach a high enough temperature to destroy the lectin. So be careful how you prepare your kidney  beans and ensure that they are fully cooked. 

APPLES

Although apples are delicious, the apple seeds contain cyanide which is extremely toxic to humans. If too much is consumed it can cause vomiting and other side effects. 

TOMATOES

Tomatine is a toxin that is typically found in the leaves and stems of tomato plants. Large quantities are reported in green tomatoes, so be careful to remove and just consume the tomato itself.

BRAZIL NUTS

Brazil nuts is considered one of the most radioactive foods. Fortunately though, if eaten in moderation the majority of this is not retained by your body.

POTATOES

Potatoes contain excessive amounts of solanine which could lead to poisoning if you are consuming green potatoes. So make sure your potatoes are fully ripe before consuming. 

RHUBARB

The green leaves  of the Rhubarb are dangerous as they contain oxalic acid which can lead to formation of kidney stones if consumed.

CHERRIES

The pits of cherries contain hydrogen cyanide which can cause breathing difficulties, vomiting and sometimes kidney failure.




Connect us

Our social contacts